Monday, January 5, 2009

Hogmanay...Drunk and Lawless

Look!

My favorite picture of the night...right at Midnight.

By the end of the night, we were just taking pictures with old people apparently. Look how drunk my sister looks!We thought this guy's bald head was really gross. So we took like, 8 pictures with it.
Sneaking into Groove Armada
Hogmanay was absolutely incredible. Of of the best times i've had over here. It was just SO MUCH FUN!!! We started off the night by drinking a lot a lot of vodka, but at Hogmanay (awesome), you can bring in your own alcohol, no problem! So we brought water bottles filled with vodka and fanta.
Our first stop? The Hot Chip DJ set. So great...they played so much good music, but the crowd obviously mostly responded to Hot Chip songs. We danced like crazy and I got to hear almost all my favorite songs by them. So after Hot Chip ended, we thought...hmm? What should we do? At this point, we were drunk enough to be reckless, and of course our thoughts were to sneak into the only area of Hogmanay where you had to buy an extra ticket (and what a ticket! Around 50 pounds for a concert (75 dollars!)). No way were we paying that. But we were going to get in...no matter what. My sister had kind of heard the band, and liked them...but I had never even heard Groove Armada before. I just wanted to break the law, honestly. It was way more about the mission than the end result for me. I was drunk, it was new years, and I wanted to do some subversive shit.

You can find all this out by reading the comic I posted above, but for those of you who are lazy, or who can't read my handwriting (probably everyone), I'll spell it out for you.
We started by going to a little gate blocking off the park and begging with the security guard to let us in...Of course, our friends had our tickets, and they were already inside, and won't you please help us out sir? We're just two damsels in distress (cue batting of the eyelashes)! No go. I'm pretty sure we were pretty obvious, and the day after we heard multiple people talking about how THEY tried to beg the guards to let them in too.
So instead, we found an exit area from the concert, and snuck in there. It went through this bathroom area, and there were two guards standing right there, but I went down, and right then it was midnight! Fireworks went off everywhere...it was really beautiful, and even more beautiful because I used that cue to say "Mar...come look at the fireworks" and out she walks past the guards, like we're not doing anything wrong...we're just two girls looking at fireworks gosh golly! So we look at them for a bit, and when we think the guards have relaxed to our presence, Mariette pretends like she wants to take my picture (well, she actually does, but she was also using it as an excuse for me to edge further into the park). She says "back up!" a couple times, as she keeps taking my photo, and then we just RUN for it. We ended up being backstage, but we were too drunk to realize it at the time...so we have to JUMP a hedge to make it to the main concert area. I boosted up my sister, then she helped pull me over (with some drunk difficulties). And then....we made it! We got to be front and center for the groove armada concert, without paying a cent. Amazing. It was such an awesome night. I had the best time. I hope everyone else's new years were awesome too!

1 comment:

Aaron Whitaker said...

Your so sneaky. I love your camera the best.