Monday, January 12, 2009

Northern Ireland







So after beautiful Edinburgh, we headed off to the gritty city of Belfast. Personally, I wasn't really interested in it. I know that there is so much history involved within the city...but It's just so depressing. I hate hearing about people killing over religion (although the conflict was more complicated than that), and Belfast has such a bloody history, and still is pretty segregated. I hate the idea of going to a memorial of like, "here's where 20 people were gunned down for no reason!", and then taking pictures of it or something. I know it's important to remember, but it's just pretty sad. My sister really wanted to go though, and I conceded because going to Belfast meant it would be a hop, skip and a jump away from the Giant's Causeway...something I was really excited to see. Aaron told me about this amazing sight...a natural cooling of volcano that made the stones all into these jutting up hexagonal figures. I saw pictures of it online, and I had to go. And I wasn't disappointed at all. It was just SO cool. One of my favorite things i've seen on this trip I think.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That's called Columnar Basalt, FYI. I hear you're coming home soon. I'm planning a trip down to Portland to see some friends, and thought I may be able to see you, too. Let me know.

Aaron Whitaker said...

You look like a widow remembering your dead sailor husband that the sea took from you.

Melinda Tracy Boyce said...

oh great...like an old, haggard widow??? UGH!